Attractions and Events
10/21/16–Attention Wranglers campers/horseback riders and Golden Pond Target Range users
Golden Pond Interpretive Overlook Dedication on Saturday, October 22
From noon until 4:00 PM, there will be a dedication of the Golden Pond Overlook located near the intersection of Road 160 and State highway 68/80. This overlook will honor the old town of Golden Pond and many of the former residents will be in attendance.
- During the dedication there will be extensive pedestrian and vehicle congestion at this road intersection and on Road 160. For your safety and the safety of others, please use alternative roads like Road 165 when going to or leaving Wranglers campground during this time.
- As a courtesy to the people attending this event, we ask that you refrain from shooting during this time.
10/5/16– There will be a trail run on the Canal Loop Trail on October 22, 2016. Please watch for runners on the roadway and trail near the North Welcome Station and Kentucky Lake Drive all day.
9/7/16–Canoe and kayak rentals have ended for the season at Nature Station. Please go to Energy Lake Campground for canoe rentals.
9/7/16–All camping areas open.
Campfire Safety Reminder
Land Between The Lakes reminds visitors to use extreme caution when building campfires, especially in backcountry. Please remove any debris around the fire ring, make sure campfire ashes are cold before leaving unattended, and keep a bucket of water and a shovel nearby. Remember, only you can prevent wildfires. www.smokeybear.com/campfire-safety.asp
Prescribed Fire Information – In Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 (November-April), We may conduct prescribed burns in portions of Hunt Area 6, 11, and 13. Fall-Spring 2016 Prescribed Fire Information
We plan prescribed fire ignition under very specific conditions. Prior to a prescribed burn, we barricade roads in the burn area and monitor for smoke issues. We contact officials in nearby communities before the burn takes place. Prescribed fires improve overall wildlife habitat diversity and helps promote many native trees and plants like our oaks, hickories, native grasses, and wildflowers. View more information about Land Between The Lakes’ prescribed fire program.
While driving, watch for deer along and crossing roads in the area.
Use tick repellent spray, before heading out in the woods. For more information: Tick Info Sheet.
9/14/16– Cumberland Electric will be proceeding with trimming limbs back for their power line easements in Tennessee beginning September 21, 2016.
9/12/16– The latest road update. Read more: https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/storm-damage-update-roads-9_12_16/
- Road 205 Closed with a temporary culvert to be installed this next week for farmer access
- Road 113 Opened with new culverts in place
- Road 349 Closed with temporary repairs to begin this week for farmer access
- Road 174 Closed with temporary repairs to be completed in October; plans include two temporary culverts
- Road 153 Closed with culvert wash out
- Road 144 Closed with both road wash out and culvert wash out
- Road 141 Closed with temporary repairs pending gas line company backfilling exposed gas line
- Road 211 Culvert failure; one lane open for cemetery access
- Road 219 Closed with low water crossing scheduled for repairs
- Road 143 Closed with road completely washed out
7/13/16–The TVA herbicide crews completed spraying the powerline right-of-way on the eastern transmission line in Land Between the Lakes. They are currently working on the western transmission line. Effects of the spray are visible.
Use caution driving through construction activity around Eggner’s Ferry Bridge on US68/KY80 over Kentucky Lake and the Lawrence Memorial Bridge on US 68/KY 80 over Lake Barkley.
8/19/15–FS Rd 126 is closed due to significant bridge damage. Use FS Rd 124 to access backcountry areas, boat ramps or cemeteries in that area. (Near Kuttawa Landing)
10/4/16–Wranglers Trail closures due to deer quota hunts:
- All trails south of Forest Service Road 347 and 170 will be closed. That includes portions of trails 6, 7, and 8
- KY Youth Hunt October 22 and 23
- KY Adult Hunt November 19 and 20
- Trail 12 will be closed
- TN Youth Hunt October 15 and 16
- TN Adult Hunt November 11 and 12; November 26 and 27
9/14/16–Turkey Bay is open.
Always Call Before You Haul 800-525-7077 or 270-924-2000
7/14/16–Wranglers Horse Trails have some damage due to flooding and heavy rain. Wagons are advised to stay on legal roads only at this time. Many trails cannot accommodate wagons due to storm damage. For more trail information see www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/trails/horse-trails/.
7/6/16–At least one bridge has been completely washed away on the North/South trail south of Pinnegar Cemetery near the back of Sugar Bay. Please utilize Forest Service roads 139, 318, and 140 to avoid this site. On-the-ground signage will be installed in the next few days directing trail users around the area and promptly as other storm-related trail impacts are discovered/reported.
6/2/16–A trail detour is being implemented on the Canal Loop Trail to address two deteriorating bridges. The detour is located near the intersection of KY Lake Scenic Drive (south end) and the Canal Loop. In the interim, trail users should follow the posted markers utilizing KY Lake Scenic Drive and C-Connector for Canal Loop access.
11/24/15–Backpacking permits have moved from Jenny Ridge Picnic Area to behind Golden Pond Visitor Center and from North Welcome Station parking lot to kiosks behind North Welcome Station.
10/21/15–Hematite Lake Trail Maintenance and Improvement information at www.landbetweenthelakes.us/stewardship/land-resource-management/projects/project_detail/?project=47953
NOTE: Water is not available on trails. There are a few seasonal springs. You must carry water and/or bring a filter to use when you find water (lake shore). Water is available at Golden Pond Visitor Center and Land Between The Lakes dump stations.
- Leave firewood at home – do not bring it to campgrounds. Use firewood from local sources.
- If you have moved firewood, burn all of it before leaving your campsite.