General Hunting Rules and Regulations
- All hunters must have a Land Between the Lakes Hunter Use Permit and applicable state licenses, ie; Must hunt in Kentucky if hunter possesses a Kentucky state license. There is not a reciprocal agreement between states.
- Be sure to report your harvest as occurring on Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area
- Remember to observe all applicable state and federal regulations.
- Licensed motorized vehicles permitted on numbered roads only. You can find these roads on our Hunt Recreation Maps and Motorized Vehicle Use Map online under “maps” at http://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/visit/maps/. Other roads are for administrative access only. Parking is permitted within one vehicle length of a legal road. Avoid blocking emergency vehicle access to any road or trail. Please refrain from rutting fields and roads.
- Unlicensed motorized vehicles are allowed only in the Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle Area and require a permit.
- When transporting firearms in a vehicle, keep them cased and unloaded in both chamber and magazine.
- It is unlawful to hunt within 150 yards of any developed area or trail.
- Nature Watch Areas, wildlife refuges, safety zones around facilities, and other posted areas are closed to hunting.
- The placement of bait or hunting over bait, including food or mineral substances, is prohibited.
- Use of any artificial light to locate wildlife is prohibited at all times.
- Do not use paint, tape, flagging, or other artificial materials to mark trees, trails, or routes.
- Hunters must not be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
- Harassing animals or hunting out of season is prohibited.
- Do not leave campfire rings/rocks in fields or roads.
- To protect the future of hunting, please remain courteous and helpful to our visitors.
- Hunting deer from horseback or with dogs is prohibited.
- Turkey Bay is an archery-only area for deer hunting.
- Portable tree stands and climbing devices that do not injure trees are permitted; must have name and phone number of owner on stand. Can be hung 2 weeks prior to season and must be removed 1 week after.
Small Game Hunting
- Night hunting for coyotes is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs must have current rabies vaccinations. Dogs must wear collars identifying owner, address, and phone number.
- Small game hunting from horseback is permitted.
- Air guns are permitted for small game in both Kentucky and Tennessee according to state regulations. Tennessee allows the use of air guns for furbearers and crow.
- Turkey hunters must apply online during February and be computer drawn for a quota turkey hunt permit for the first springs hunt using firearms.
- Deer hunters must apply online during the month of July and be computer drawn for a quota deer hunt permit in October and November when using firearms.
- Quota hunt permits must be with the hunter while hunting. All hunters 16 and older must possess a Land Between the Lakes Hunter Use Permit.